This Galaxy Gas Nitrous Recipe: Crispy Onion Rings is inspired by renown chef Richard Blais and creates extremely lacy and crisp onion rings. For this recipe, all you'll need is a few simple ingredients as well as your Galaxy Gas Whipped Cream Dispenser and one Galaxy Gas Whipped Cream Charger. As we prepared our version of this recipe in our kitchen, we discovered something phenomenal - Onion rings like never before! Here is the Galaxy Gas Solutions rendition of this recipe, made just for you.
⦁ Whipped Cream Canister
⦁ Whipped Cream Charger
- All-purpose flour – 1 ¾ cups
- Rice flour – ½ cup + 1 tablespoon
- Baking soda – ½ teaspoon
- Kosher salt
- Vodka – ½ cup
- Light ale – 1 cup
- Onion – 2 medium, sweet. Slice crosswise ¼ inch thick and separate the rings.
- Vegetable oil – as much as required for deep frying
- Take ¾ cup all-purpose flour, rice flour, salt, and baking soda in a bowl and mix.
- Now add the vodka and beer and whisk thoroughly to obtain a smooth texture. There should be no lumps in this batter.
- Strain this batter and pour into the 1 pint Galaxy Gas Whipped Cream Dispenser.
- Close the Galaxy Gas Whipped Cream Dispenser and charge it with one Galaxy Gas Whipped Cream Charger as per the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Shake the Galaxy Gas Whipped Cream Dispenser to incorporate the gas in the batter. Repeat with another Galaxy Gas Whipped Cream Charger if required.
- Take a large saucepan and heat the oil. The oil should be at least 2 inches high in the pan. Heat the oil up to 350 degrees.
- Take a shallow bowl and add the remaining 1 cup all-purpose flour to it.
- Coat the onion rings with the flour and shake to remove the excess flour.
- Set all the flour-coated onion rings in a large bowl.
- Hold the Galaxy Gas Whipped Cream Dispenser upside down, and gently dispense the batter in the correct quantity to coat the rings.
- With the help of tongs, lift the onion rings and allow the excess batter to drip off.
- Carefully place them in the saucepan with preheated oil.
- Let them puff in the hot oil till their color turns to a golden brown.
- Take out from the oil and drain the oil on a paper towel.
- Serve immediately with your favorite dressing.
About Galaxy Gas Whipped Cream Dispenser use in this Recipe:
Modern-day chefs are turning to the new and innovative method of aerating their recipes. This method involves the use of a revolutionary tool called the Siphon, or whipped cream dispenser.
The Galaxy Gas Whipped Cream Dispenser is a handheld device that looks like a canister. A Galaxy Gas Whipped Cream Charger charges any given batter with Nitrous Oxide gas. Now chefs are experimenting with the Dispenser to create unique recipes which are much better than their non-nitrous counterparts.
Richard Blais, a celebrity chef in Atlanta’s the Spence, wrote a book named ‘Try This At Home’ in which he explains how this innovative little device can make a huge difference when used in the right recipe.
According to him, ‘the joy of Siphon is that you can take heavy things and make them lighter.
People use different tips and tricks to make their deep-fry batters crisp and airy. Some recipes use club soda or beer to lighten the batter. Alternatively, vodka is also used in such recipes as the alcohol has a lower boiling point than water. The addition of alcohol-containing ingredients enhances the texture of a deep-fried batter.
In this recipe, Richard Blais used both of them. To lighten the batter further, he used the siphon. This technique gave an amazingly crunchy yet mouth-melting texture to the onion rings. You can also use this batter for frying anything from chicken, fish, or pork.
Whipped Cream Chargers and Dispensers
Nitrous oxide is more soluble in fat as compared with water. Therefore liquids with higher fat composition usually produce a more excellent foam in a siphon than low-fat liquids. That is why whipping siphons are an ideal choice for aerating high-fat creams.
Traditionally people use baking powder, baking soda, yeast, steam pressure, egg whites, or beer for aerating their batters. But using Galaxy Gas Whipped Cream Dispenser produces the very best results.