Prawn cocktail or shrimp cocktail is one of the most popular hors d’oeuvre in the US and UK. It is made from delicate cooked and shelled prawns mixed with a green vegetable and a prawn cocktail sauce. It is most often served in cocktail glasses. The classical prawn cocktail sauce is made from mayonnaise, tomato ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and creamed horseradish. The dish is popular among kids and adults due to its creamy texture and mild flavor. We have given a new twist to the classical prawn cocktail recipe with the Galaxy Gas Nitrous Recipe: Prawn Cocktail and infused the prawn cocktail sauce in the Galaxy Gas Whipped Cream Dispenser to make it light and frothy.
⦁ Whipped Cream Canister
⦁ Whipped Cream Charger
- Prawns – 1 pound – shelled, beheaded, and cooked
- Baby lettuce leaves – 3 cups
- Lemon – 1 – sliced
- Mayonnaise – ½ cup
- Greek yogurt – 2 tablespoon
- Tomato ketchup – 3 tablespoon
- Creamed Horseradish – 1 teaspoon
- Worcestershire Sauce – 1 teaspoon
- A dash of Cayenne Pepper
- Lime juice – few drops
- Salt – to taste
- In a bowl, mix all the ingredients, pass them through a strainer and pour them in a Galaxy Gas Whipped Cream Dispenser.
- Charge with one Galaxy Gas Whipped Cream Charger, shake vigorously eight to ten times, and keep in a refrigerator for fifteen minutes.
- Chop the prawns into small pieces while reserving a few for garnishing.
- Similarly, chop the lettuce and save some leaves for presentation.
- Mix the chopped prawns and lettuce. Dispense half of the dressing over it and mix thoroughly.
- Take a cocktail glass, line it with a whole lettuce leaf. Fill the glass with a mixture of chopped prawns.
- Dispense some more of the sauce over it, preferably with the help of a nozzle.
- Garnish with the whole prawn and a slice of fresh lime.
What variety of prawns is best for this recipe?
The variety of prawns that you chose for this recipe depends on your personal choice. The most common ones that most chefs prefer for making this recipe include;
Brown and Pink Shrimps:
Pink shrimps are also sold as ready-prepared, while brown shrimps are available as potted shrimps. They are often cooked after being caught and may be available as peeled, fresh, and frozen.
Shell on Prawns:
They are the best in flavor and texture. Their drawback is that you need a lot of time to peel them. You can prepare a stock from their shells for risotto. They are perfect for sandwiches and other snacks. Their heads are often turned black or dark green due to their pressure while they are caught in fishing nets.
How to prepare and cook prawns?
First of all, thaw the prawns and peel if required. If they are raw, you can cut them into a ‘butterflied’ shape (split into half from the back but not separate the sides). Don’t forget to remove the dark vein as it imparts a bitter and gritty flavor to the prawn while eating.
When the prawn gets cooked, it appears pinkish-orange in color, but wait for it to turn opaque in the center before removing it from heat. Prawns cut into butterfly shape cook rapidly, and get a firm texture without getting rubbery.
What is the right way to defrost the prawns?
Keep the prawns in the fridge for six to eight hours or unless they thaw completely. Do not soak in water otherwise;, they will lose their flavor. Reheat them completely but avoid overcooking.
How can you make a healthier version of sauce?
The classic prawn cocktail is served with a sauce made by combining mayonnaise, tomato ketchup, and lime. For making a healthier version, you can use light mayonnaise along with crème Fraiche and sprinkle with some lemon juice or fresh lime juice.
Using a Galaxy Gas Whipped Cream Dispenser increases the volume of sauce and reduces the number of calories per serving.
Can I make any variations in the flavors of sauce?
If you are not satisfied with the flavor of commercial mayonnaise (most of them are too vinegary), you can try making mayonnaise at home. It is simple, and you can find a million recipes on the internet.
You can also make tomato sauce at home, but in our opinion, it won’t make a considerable difference. If you prefer a stronger tomato flavor, add homemade tomato puree to the sauce. You can always use lemon juice in place of lime, totally depending on your preference and convenience.
For the spice, you have several options. We have used creamed horseradish as it goes great with prawns. However, in many recipes, you will find Tabasco sauce or red chili also. Worcestershire sauce is good for adding up some savory notes to the sauce.