Are you adventurous enough to introduce new flavors and aromas to your palate? Or you want to experiment with everything that appears in restaurant and coffee shop menus. Get ready to excite your taste buds with the intense yet delicious Tonka flavor. Let’s start with a simple sponge cake that you can quickly bake in a microwave. This simple sponge cake is flavored with the tonka bean, and is just a great accompaniment to the evening tea in summer. You can also enjoy the cake with coffee on cold winter nights. Made from simple ingredients (except obviously the tonka), you will find everything in your pantry. And the best thing is that you don’t need to spend a lot of time near your oven. The cake is a basic sponge that contains a considerable amount of almonds. The texture of the tonka bean sponge cake is light, crumbly, and moist. Your taste buds will detect the luscious taste of almonds and the pronounced aroma of tonka beans in each bite. This light sponge cake is perfectly aerated in the Galaxy Gas Whipped Cream Dispenser. Don’t hesitate to order some Tonka beans from your nearest dealer and enjoy!
⦁ Whipped Cream Canister
⦁ Whipped Cream Charger
- Sugar – ½ cup
- Eggs – 5
- Salt – a pinch
- Flour – 2 tablespoons
- Cocoa powder – 2 tablespoons
- Almonds – 1 cup
- Tonka beans – 2
- Plastic or paper cups – 8
- Grind the tonka beans and almonds in a food processor.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs and add all ingredients to them.
- Pour this batter in the Galaxy Gas Whipped Cream Dispenser through a sieve and funnel.
- Attach one Galaxy Gas Whipped Cream Charger, charge, and shake vigorously.
- In the bottom of each cup, make a minor incision.
- Pour the mixture in each cup while filling the cups to about one-third of their capacity.
- Place the cups in a microwave and bake at 900 watts for 50 seconds.
- Take out the cups from the microwave and let them cool down.
- During this resting period, the opening of the cups should face downwards so that they do not lose moisture.
- For serving, remove the cakes from the cups with the help of a knife’s rim and top with almond sauce.
- For the almond sauce, add one cup of sour cream to a bowl. Whisk it with almond flavoring and sugar syrup. You can also replace the almond flavoring with amaretto.
Can you use ground almonds in this recipe?
Yes, you can use ground almonds or even almonds that are ground with their skin on if you don’t want to spend on expensive blanched almonds. You can also grind your almonds in a food processor yourself. But in that case, you must not overbeat them. Otherwise, they will turn into almond butter.
Does the Tonka bean have a strong aroma?
You can easily recognize the Tonka bean from its distinct scent and intense aroma. A little bit of grated Tonka is enough to flavor a cake. Somewhat similar to vanilla, but stronger like sweet flowers or heavy perfume – this unique flavoring is worth trying. Therefore when you replace it with vanilla, you miss out on something significant.
If you hold the bean for grating it in your hands, they will keep the scent for few hours no matter how much you wash them. Seems interesting! Your kitchen will also smell of Tonka for a couple of days.
What do Tonka beans taste like?
The taste of the tonka bean is dependent on its distinguished scents. From cherry to vanilla and almond, there is a lot that you can expect from just a pinch of ground tonka bean.
When you add it to ice cream to create a Tonka bean ice cream, you will get the hint of a vanilla caramel infused with dark honey. Seems delicious! You can try out tonka bean ice cream by replacing it with vanilla in the recipe and whipping it in Galaxy Gas Whipped Cream Dispenser.
What does Tonka bean look like?
The beans are nearly an inch long in size. Their texture is comparable to raisins. Tonka bean is a seed that comes from a flowering tea abundant in South America. You can use it instead of vanilla, but it has a much intense flavor than vanilla.
Where to buy Tonka beans?
Though it’s not legal to import, sell, or use tonka beans in the US, chefs use it to enhance their dishes and desserts. You can find Tonka beans online and in few specialty stores. It is also available at good delis and food suppliers who cater to restaurants and hotels.
Is the Tonka bean safe to consume?
Tonka bean is unsafe if consumed in excessive amounts. It may cause vomiting, nausea, dizziness vomiting, sleeplessness, and even liver disorders. But to feel ill with Tonka beans, you will have to consume them in considerable amounts that are not even possible to eat at once. Because of these toxic side effects of excessive consumption of Tonka beans, the US Food and Drug Administration has declared it impure.
The amount of Tonka beans required to flavor your Tonka bean sponge cake are within the safe range, and we assure you that you won’t feel sick after eating this cake.