Refreshing and flavorful gazpacho is Andalusia’s characteristic food. This summer comfort food is enjoyed cold when the sun is melting everything with its sweltering heat. Traditionally served as a liquid salad, the gazpacho is made from fresh summer vegetables. Summers and watermelons are inseparable. For a more refreshing twist, we added the summer’s best fruit watermelon to the gazpacho. The subtle sweetness of watermelons creates an amazing combo with the tangy tomatoes. Aerated with the Galaxy Gas Whipped Cream Dispenser, the texture of gazpacho becomes deliciously light, airy, and frothy. This watermelon gazpacho is an outstanding dish that you can enjoy in summer. This cold soup is loaded with the goodness of watermelons.
You can make it in bulk and keep it in the fridge for a quick, light, and cool summer lunch. The best thing is that this gazpacho is completely vegan and gluten-free.
⦁ Whipped Cream Canister
⦁ Whipped Cream Charger
- Watermelon – 300 grams – peeled and diced
- Tomatoes – ½ cup – diced
- Cucumbers – 2 cups – peeled and diced
- Red capsicum – ½ - deseeded and diced
- Spring onion – 3 tablespoons
- Garlic – 1 clove – crushed
- Fresh basil – 3 – 4 tablespoon – chopped
- Red wine vinegar – 1 tablespoon
- Salt – ½ teaspoon
- A dash of sriracha
- Basil leaves – 1 handful – for garnish
- Blend all the ingredients into a smooth puree.
- Pour the puree in a Galaxy Gas Whipped Cream Dispenser through a sieve and funnel.
- Screw one Galaxy Gas Whipped Cream Charger, charge the cream dispenser, and shake well.
- Refrigerate for half an hour, shake again and dispense in a measuring jug.
- Pour the cold watermelon gazpacho into four serving glasses.
- Top with basil leaves and serve with croutons.
How can you serve watermelon gazpacho?
You can serve this refreshing soup in a variety of ways to make it more interesting. Top with some avocados or chopped vegetables. If you love creamy soups, add a spoonful of cream, olive oil, plain Greek yogurt, or sour cream and make a swirl. Some seeds, such as hemp seeds or herbs like basil or parsley, also give a flavorful twist to the soup.
Ham or hard-boiled eggs also enhance the flavor of the soup. In this way, you can make the watermelon gazpacho a whole meal in itself, and it is an ideal summer light lunch. You can also enjoy it with a sandwich or a salad of your choice. The watermelon gazpacho is an ideal appetizer to be served with Spanish cuisine.
Why is Gazpacho served cold?
Gazpacho is a summer comfort food enjoyed in Andalusia. It is served cold but never frozen. To enjoy the best flavors of gazpacho is must be stored at 0 – 8 degrees. At high temperatures, gazpacho may develop very strong aromas and flavors that some people may feel undesirable. If frozen, the vegetables will lose their original flavors. At most places in Spain, it is served over ice with a straw.
Is Gazpacho healthy?
One thing we are certain about is that gazpacho is healthy. A cup of gazpacho will provide you with a significant portion of vitamins, antioxidants, and minerals. Gazpacho is an ideal food for people of all ages. The best thing is that it is free from sugars and unnecessary fats.
What time of day is gazpacho eaten?
In Spain, gazpacho is not just a soup. People enjoy it as a tapa, an appetizer, a dip, a starter, a sauce, a dessert, or even a main dish. You can eat it any time during the day or at night. The best thing is that you can store it in the refrigerator for four days and eat it whenever you are hungry.
Can you eat too much gazpacho?
“You can never have too much gazpacho,” they say in Spain. It means that when you are in Spain, you can enjoy gazpacho as much as you like it. You can eat it all the time throughout the day if you are in Andalusia.
What variations are possible in this recipe?
There are no very hard and fast rules when it comes to adding ingredients to a gazpacho. So don’t hesitate to add anything that is lying free in your toaster drawer. Here are some examples of what you can add to this versatile cold soup;
- Make it fruitier: Summers are all about fresh, hydrating fruits. Feel free to add your favorite summer fruits such as strawberries, cantaloupe, or honeydew instead of watermelon.
- Experiment with different veggies: Corns, zucchini, and beets are some veggies that taste great in a gazpacho.
- Add extra herbs: For a burst of flavors, add fresh basil or fresh mint and enjoy.
- Make it hot: Though most people will want to keep it less spicy, if you want some extra heat, then add jalapeno, Serrano, or Thai chilies.
- Go gluten-free: Make a bread-free version as we have made, or add gluten-free bread.